An On-line Journal of My Kayak Adventures in Eastern Virginia

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Nottoway River - 7/6/14

     For my third paddle along the Nottoway, I put in at Carys Bridge, near Sebrell, Va., west of Courtland. There is a DGIF public boat ramp just upriver from the bridge. Take your time on the landing road, as it is heavily rutted and full of craters. There is plenty of parking, and the ramp itself is concrete, but I went in to the left of the ramp on a more kayak-friendly surface of sand and gravel. Beyond ample parking, there are no other amenities, and the landing is far from any stores or services. I think this isolated location worked in my favor, because I saw not one human for the whole length of my paddle, and there are few signs of civilization along the river. In fact, I did not even hear an airplane. I did, however, hear and see many birds, including two pairs of bald eagles, a pileated woodpecker, several kingfishers, green-winged teals, ospreys, and at one spot I was able to watch a doe and her fawn enjoying a mid-river drink. The water was unusually low, and at several points along the trip I had to get out to cross fallen trees, or to pull the kayak into deeper water. However, being low, the river offered numerous places to pull out and stretch, or to go for a swim in deeper areas. It was a splendid trip paddling on clear water under green lushness.

Carys Birdge Landing


 

The trunk of this old Bald Cypress was nearly 12' across, and dwarfed my kayak.


One of the few signs of civilization is the Lake Gaston Pipeline, which carries fresh water to Va. Beach, enabling tens of thousands of sweaty tourists to enjoy a shower.








View Nottoway 7-6-14 in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment