An On-line Journal of My Kayak Adventures in Eastern Virginia

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Northwest River - 11/10/12

     My last paddle of 2012 was on Indian Creek and the Northwest River in Chesapeake, Virginia, and it ended up being one of the most beautiful trips I have taken. Part of the reason for the beauty was the time of year. Early November in Tidewater is the area's peak time for fall color, and between the bald cypress, the red maples and the other trees reflected in the still, black water, it was a very memorable trip. My put-in point for this trip was on Indian Creek Road, next to the Northwest River Park, at the headwaters of Indian Creek. The unpaved parking area here is sort of random and dodgy, and there is only room for three of four cars, plus there is no formal ramp, it is just creekside access. I followed Indian Creek until it met the Northwest River, where I turned west to explore the river. The creek was quiet and I only encountered one other person in a small jon boat, but once I was on the river my company increased. Even this late in the season there were many fisherman on the river in large power boats, seriously equipped for finding fish. Despite that, I was still able to enjoy the river and found many spots of quiet beauty. As paddled my trip was just over 5 miles, and I will be back.
Indian Creek
Indian Creek
Indian Creek
Indian Creek
Northwest River
Northwest River
Northwest River
Blueberry Foliage
Cypress Knees 
Saltbush 
Cypress Knees
Red Maple Foliage over Cypress Knees
Because of the shoreline's swampy nature, there are few places to get out of the kayak. You can do so at the Northwest River Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment