An On-line Journal of My Kayak Adventures in Eastern Virginia

Friday, August 17, 2012

Morris Creek - 8/17/12

      I first heard about Morris Creek from reading Andrea Nolan's book, Sea Kayaking Virginia, and her description of the waterway made me want to grab my paddle. Morris Creek is a tidal tributary of the Chickahominy River, close to where it meets the James River. I launched from the boat ramp in the Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area.  This WMA is over 5000 acres and mostly preserves upland forest, but a good part of the north bank of Morris Creek is protected as well. The boat ramp is basic, well kept and has a fishing dock. From the ramp we headed northwest (right) and upstream. The brackish water is more fresh than salt, and there is diversity of plant life along the shore, and the plant geek in me was particularly intrigued by bald cypress and the tall grasses growing in the marsh. The creek is one of the more pristine places I have paddled, and for most of its length there is little to no sign of the 21st century.


Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)



Pickerel Weed (Pontederia cordata)
Lightening Struck Tree

Chicahominy WMA Fishing Dock
View Morris Creek 8.17.12 in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment